The following letter to the editor of The Baltimore Sun was written by Emily Tarsell and Dr. William Reichel. It is reprinted below with their permission.
August 9, 2015
Your recent article in The Baltimore Sun, Medicine Briefs for August 2, 2015, states that “not enough pediatricians are strongly recommending HPV vaccine.” It appears there are excellent medical and scientific reasons why many doctors do not.
Since hpv vaccines were introduced seven years ago, it has been assumed that this vaccine will prevent cervical cancer. Yet it has never been demonstrated to prevent any cancer, cervical or otherwise (1, 2, 3).
It has also been assumed for 7 years that this vaccine is safe. Yet there have been thousands of adverse event reports. The CDC itself admits there are 3x as many adverse events for the hpv vaccine Gardasil as there are for all other vaccines combined.(4) Compared to all other vaccines in the US schedule, Gardasil alone is associated with 61% of all serious adverse events including 63.8% of all deaths and 81.2% of all permanent disabilities in females under 30 years of age. (5)
In fact, Japan, India and France have removed hpv vaccines from their recommended list due to safety and efficacy concerns.(6, 7, 8, 11) Unethical practices and serious post hpv vaccination injuries and deaths prompted the Supreme Court of India to initiate an ongoing investigation of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. (7) The Health Welfare and Labor Ministry of Japan conducted a national investigation regarding post hpv vaccine injuries in their country. The outcome was the removal of funding and removal of recommendations regarding hpv vaccines. (8, 9, 10, 11) They concluded that the harm experienced is overwhelmingly greater than the benefit expected.
Prompted by medical reports of post hpv vaccination arrhythmia and motor neuron disabilities in children in Denmark, the European Medicines Agency is conducting an investigation of hpv injection adverse events. (12) Law suits for hpv injuries and deaths have also been filed in Spain, France and Columbia.
Some studies have linked serious hpv vaccine adverse events to the aluminum adjuvant which is a known neurotoxin. (13, 14, 15, 16) Yet the latest version of hpv vaccine, Gardasil 9, contains double the amount of aluminum adjuvant than its predecessor.
We already have proven, safe and effective ways to prevent cervical cancer with pap screening which carries no serious health risk. So the doctors who do not recommend hpv vaccination are the ones who have done their research. The public should be grateful to those who have taken their oath seriously.
William Reichel, MD Emily Tarsell, LCPC
Timonium, MD Sparks, MD
- Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA, Spinosa JP: Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccines as an option for preventing cervical malignancies: (How) effective and safe? Curr Pharm Des 2012, :CPD-EPUB-20120924-13.Epub ahead of print.
- Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA: Who profits from uncritical acceptance of biased estimates of vaccine efficacy and safety? Am J Public Health 2012, 102(9):e13–e14.
- Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA: Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine policy and evidence-based medicine: are they at odds? Ann Med 2011, doi:10.3109/07853890.2011.645353
- Slade BA, Leidel L, Vellozzi C, et al. Postlicensure safety surveillance for quadrivalent human papillomavirus recombinant vaccine. JAMA. 2009; 302 (7): 750-757.
- Tomljenovic L, Wilyman J, Vanamee E, Bark T,Shaw CA. HPV vaccines and cancer prevention, science versus activism. Infectious Agents and Cancer 2013,8:6. http://www.infectagentscancer.com/content/8/1/6.
- Vactruth. French Medical Doctors Say, “Delist & Suspend HPV Vaccines. December 28, 2011 http://www.medocean.re/2011/09/le-gardasil-a-l%E2%80%99assemblee-nationale/.Accessed January 2012.
- Sarojini N B, Sandhya Srinivasan, Madhavi Y, Srinivasan S, Anjali Shenoi. The HPV Vaccine: Science, Ethics and Regulation. Economic & Political Weekly EPW november 27, 2010 vol xlv no 48.
- Erickson N. Japan and the hpv vaccine controversy. www.sanevax.org. Accessed 4/29/2014.
- Kyodo. Cervarix vaccine issues trigger health notice. Japan Times. June 15,2013. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/06/15/national/cervix-vaccine-issues-trigger-health-notice/#.VMfXlWjF8fX. Accessed 4/29/2014.
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Shimbun A. Analysis: Experts at loss over pain from cervical cancer vaccination. Asia and Japan Watch. June 18, 2013.http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201306180057. Accessed 1/27/15
- Archive of proceedings and events regarding an investigation into hpv vaccines safety and efficacy by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Medwatcher Japan. http://www.yakugai.gr.jp/en/activity/index.php?year=2014. Accessed 1/26/15.
- Chustecka Z. Safety Profile of HPV Vaccines Under Review in Europe. Medscape.July 13. 2015. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/847841src=wnl_edit_newsal&uac=148182AN&impID=759675&faf=1 Accessed July 20, 2015.
- Lee, SH. Detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) L1gene DNA possibly bound to particulate aluminum adjuvant in the HPVvaccine Gardasil. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry.117 (2012) 85-92. www.elsevier.com/locate/jinorgbio.
- Shoenfeld Y, Agmon-Levin N. ‘ASIA’ – Autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants. Journal of Autoimmunity (2010), 2010; XXX: 1-5.
- Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA. Mechanisms of Aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations. Lupus 2012; 21:223-230.
- Shaw CA, Petrik MS. Aluminum hydroxide injections lead to motor deficits and motor neuron degeneration. J Inorg Biochem 2009; 103: 1555-1562.