DUBLIN–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/70aee8/infectious_disease) has announced the addition of Decision Resources, Inc.’s new report “Infectious Disease Vaccines – Unmet Needs and Opportunities for Pharma” to their offering.
“Infectious Disease Vaccines – Unmet Needs and Opportunities for Pharma”
“By sheer numbers, it’s a huge pool of people that immunizations could really reach and make an enormous impact.” So one surveyed physician describes the potential impact of vaccines for infectious disease. Indeed, the size of the population is one reason why companies are taking a fresh look at the vaccine sector. An increasing global reach, clinical accomplishments, strides in establishing vaccine safety and manufacturer security, and ongoing unmet needs are also fueling vaccine development.
Questions Answered in This Report:
- The vaccine marketplace is highly concentrated. What is the size of this market, and what is its growth trend? Which companies are the leaders based on 2010 sales? Will those rankings change? What opportunities are available to these and other contenders in the vaccines space?
- Pfizer bought its way into the upper echelons of the vaccine marketplace by acquiring Wyeth in 2009. Why would a company like Pfizer be attracted to a potential acquiree’s vaccine assets? What other notable recent deals have occurred in the vaccines arena?
- Shortly after HIV was identified as the cause of AIDS in the early 1980s, Health and Human Services Secretary Margaret Heckler famously declared that a vaccine would be available within two years. What is the status of HIV vaccine development? What challenges must researchers confront? What are the considerations related to prophylactic versus therapeutic vaccines for HIV?
- In December 2010, the FDA approved Merck’s Gardasil for the prevention of anal cancers. What is next for Gardasil and GlaxoSmithKline’s Cervarix? What impact will their availability have on approaches to immunization for adolescents?
- Studies have shown that vaccines are not the cause of autism. How is this finding influencing perceptions of vaccine safety, according to surveyed clinicians? What other steps are being taken to ensure vaccine safetyand vaccine manufacturer security?
- Emerging markets are drawing the attention of pharmaceutical companies, including vaccine manufacturers. What are the pros and cons of selling vaccines in emerging markets? Which companies have established a notable presence in emerging markets?